As we all know that Windows users prefer Microsoft Outlook when it comes to choosing email clients. Email clients hold its importance though it is mainly used as an email application it also includes a calendar, task manager, contact manager and many more. This article will provide you with the best methods to convert PST to MBOX format on Windows.
Why there is a need to convert PST File to MBOX?
Well, here are some common needs of the user which force them to convert Outlook PST to MBOX file format supported by different email clients like Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora, Netscape, Spice Bird, and more.
- MS Outlook becomes expensive for the user in the long run as after a point of time they need to buy a licensed version of Microsoft Office, therefore, they feel the need to migrate PST file to MBOX supporting all the email clients free of cost.
- PST files become corrupt and cannot be accessible in MS Outlook.
- Outlook users have to stick to only Windows OS whereas MBOX can be used on any OS.
Manual Methods to Export PST to MBOX
Method 1: Migrate PST to Thunderbird On A Single Machine
Follow the below steps:
- Click on Start button > Select Default-Programs.
- Now, you have to select the Set-Your-Default Program.
- Choose the Outlook option from this window.
- Then click on the Set this Program as the Default option.
- Now, launch the Thunderbird program.
- After that click on tools tab > Select Import.
- Go to the Mail tab, click on the radio button next to it.
- And then Click Next.
- From the provided option choose Outlook.
- Click on Next > Click Finish.
- Now follow the same steps again, click on Address Book any other data item which you want to import.
- Your data will be imported from Outlook to Thunderbird.
Method 2: Migrate PST to MBOX by Gmail Synchronization
With the help of this method, you can also configure your Gmail account in Outlook. This way you can convert Outlook PST to MBOX format.
For that, you need to open your Outlook client and add your Gmail account to Outlook. Follow further steps.
- Firstly, click on File option from top menu bar Microsoft Outlook.
- Then, click Add account which will open a new folder.
- Fill the form such as username, email id, password to provide with the user credentials.
- You can now open your Gmail account and click on settings.
- Go to Forwarding and POP/IMAP and select enable IMAP and save the changes.
- Open your Outlook account and click Ok.
- When the process is completed click on Finish.
- Open Thunderbird > click on email option in the account section. A new window will appear.
- Click on Skip this and use my existing mail. A new window will appear again.
- Fill your Gmail account details.
- Now in the next window that appears select IMAP connection and clicks on Done.
- Your Gmail account is now configured to your Thunderbird and you can use Outlook PST file in Thunderbird.
In case, the above manual methods do not work properly then you can opt for PST to MBOX Converter tool. This converter tool is an excellent software which can easily convert all your Outlook PST files into MBOX format. Moreover, it has got some prominent features like even if you have corrupt PST files this tool will help you out in repairing those corrupt PST files and can convert them into MBOX format efficiently. It is capable of keeping your old data intact even after conversion. So, this tool gives you the complete solution you were looking for.
In this handout, I have discussed the various methods to convert PST to MBOX format on Windows in which I have provided you with the two manual methods of conversion as well as a Third-party solution to export Outlook PST file to MBOX format easily.